The Actionable Futurist Podcast is a show all about the near term future with practical and actionable advice from a range of global experts to help you stay ahead of the curve. Every episode answers the question, “what’s the future of …?” with voices and opinions that need to be heard. The show is hosted from London by keynote speaker and Actionable Futurist Andrew Grill and has been running since 2019.
On this episode of the podcast, we spoke with Mark Schaefer, someone I’ve known for nearly a decade. We first met in 2012 after he published the best selling book “Return on Influence” while I was the CEO of influencer platform Kred.
He’s also the author of the world's best-selling book on Twitter, The Tao of Twitter, as well as a raft of other books such as The Content Code about content marketing and “KNOWN” a book on personal branding. I was also fortunate to be featured in his “book “Marketing Rebellion” – an Amazon best-seller.
His new book, ”Cumulative Advantage: How to Build Momentum for Your Ideas, Business, and Life Against All Odds” guides readers on a path that helps them stand out in a world of overwhelming information density — when sometimes even being ”great” is not enough.
Filled with motivating ideas and fascinating case studies, Cumulative Advantage is an indispensable and practical source of inspiration for every person with a dream that’s ready to take flight.
We had a fascinating discussion that I know you will enjoy.
Topics covered included:
- The genesis of influencer marketing
- How we can all gain a cumulative advantage
- Why it's time for marketers to be humble
- The opportunity for TikTok
- How serendipity can play a huge role in your life and career
- Mark's view on the demographics for each social network
- How social media will fracture
- How we now live in a world of infinite media
- Harnessing the era of unintended consequences for marketers